Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Girl who....

There was this sixth grade girl who was struggling on the liberry computers last fall trying to attach a written assignment to an email to send to the teacher. I helped as I often do with her flash drive, and the email and ultimately the attachment. But in talking with her further, she reveals that, even though she wrote the paper, it was not her homework and the teacher she was emailing was not her teacher. Her older brother, 8th grader, had paid her $20 to write this paper and turn it in to the teacher for him! I'm Shocked! Shocked, I tell you! I've seen mothers "type" papers for their kids, or come in the liberry to get books for their kid's assignments, but this was a first! I've never seen a baby sister do homework for a big brother! This same girl recently came back to the liberry to sign up for Summer Reading, but this time she needed to pick up a GED (Good Enough Diploma) study book for her older sister. She said her sister was too lazy to come to the liberry to get the book herself. It makes me wonder if the big sister will even bother to crack the book open...

No comments:

Post a Comment